Stone Store

As the oldest stone building in New Zealand, Stone Store at Kerikeri has seen its share of history. Since the mid-1990s, Stone Store has been a part of a small museum, along with the neighboring mission house.

Built between 1832 and 1836, the Stone Store replaced an earlier wooden structure and became the Church Missionary Society’s Trading Post. It sold local fruits and vegetables to passing ships and European goods to the Maori. 

By the mid-1830s, abundant European settlers and their private enterprises put the store out of business. Over the next 40 years, the building underwent near-constant change. It was converted to a mission library, taken over by Governor George Grey for use as a magazine, leased to become a Kauri gum trading operation, and, finally, served as a boys’ school house. In 1874, the building was sold to the Kemp family, who operated it as both a general store and quasi tourist attraction for nearly 100 years, until the New Zealand Historic Places Trust purchased the building back in 1975.

Practical Info

The Stone Store, which now operates as a museum, is located at Kerikeri, in the Bay of Islands. It is 150 miles (244 km) north of Auckland.
Location
Endereço: Kerikeri, Bay of Islands, Nova Zelândia
Ticket
Ingressos: $7
Leia mais
Excursões e atividades (7)
Close
icon-filterFiltrar
Remover tudo
Ordenar por:Mais vendido





Phone
Não consegue reservar online?
+55 (21) 3956-1660
Ligue para +55 (21) 3956-1660