After a safety briefing, receive a life jacket and paddling lesson before stepping on board the 40-foot (12-meter) waka taua, a traditional-style canoe that is stable and sturdy. Set off on your tour through the tidal estuaries of the Waitangi River, traveling through a scenic landscape as you learn paddle techniques and how to maneuver your vessel. Your guide teaches you some Ngapuhi chants and a haka — a war dance that incorporates rhythmic foot-stomping, body slapping and chanting.
In about one hour, you'll arrive at Haruru Falls. Pause in front of the large waterfall to hear about the site’s spiritual significance, and then continue along the river to a marae on the riverside. A marae is the central meeting place of a Maori community and generally encompasses a meeting house decorated with intricate carvings, an open outdoor space, and cooking and eating areas. If you’re lucky, you might meet some of the local people before continuing your canoe tour.
Throughout your experience, you’ll hear stories of the Ngapuhi people, learn about age-old customs and look for local wildlife. After a fascinating three hours, your tour ends back at the starting point.
Detalhes do programa
Selecione um mês para exibir um calendário de detalhes sobre disponibilidade e partidas.
Informações sobre preços
Clique no link abaixo para verificar preços e disponibilidade na sua data de preferência de viagem. Nossos preços são atualizados constantemente a fim de garantir que você sempre terá os preços mais baixos possível.
Haruru Falls and Waitangi River Canoe
- Local guide
- Life jacket
- First aid kit
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under the age of 6 years are not permitted on the canoe (waka) for safety reasons
- Bring a raincoat or suitable clothing for weather conditions on the day
- Bring your own water, towel, sunscreen, insect repellent and a hat
- It is recommended that you wear soft-soled boat shoes or reef/sand shoes, as your feet will get wet when boarding the canoe
- Cancellation received 7 days or more prior to departure date will receive a 60% refund on the full cost of the tour
- Cancellation received 3-7 days prior to departure date will receive a refund of 50% of the full cost
- There will be no refund for any cancellations received 3 days or less before departure
- The local tour operator reserves the right to change, alter or cancel any of the tour options due to adverse weather, events or conditions that may occur beyond their control
Política de cancelamento
Se cancelar entre 3 e 6 dia(s) antes da partida agendada, haverá uma taxa de cancelamento de 50 por cento.
Se cancelar no prazo de 2 dia(s) antes da partida agendada, haverá uma taxa de cancelamento de 100 por cento.